Looking for a BDSM sensory toy you can easily pack in a bag and take along with you for play time?
Everyone talks about floggers, whips, and paddles, but what about those times when you want to play and can’t carry a big toy bag with you?
No worries. I’ve got just the toy for those light-packing situations. In fact, you could carry it in a pocket if you really wanted to.
Take a look at our recommended Wartenberg pinwheel.
Bondage Boutique Stainless Steel Pinwheel
Our experts highly recommend the Bondage Boutique option found at Lovehoney.com. It’s affordable, well made, and gets a ton of great reviews from users just like you.
Things to Know Before Buying a Wartenberg Pinwheel
The pinwheel is a classic tool in the BDSM toy bag. It’s easy to take anywhere and versatile enough to provide a variety of experiences. Here’s what to keep in mind:
- Everyone likes different sensations and levels of intensity. This type of toy is great because it can be used on a variety of body parts with different levels of pressure, meaning you can experiment with a range of sensations.
- Pinwheel toys look much more intimidating than they actually are. Though they look sharp and scary, these toys are actually one of the least painful sensory toys to play with. They can cause mild pain, but they can also tickle. And they’re not sharp enough to puncture skin with normal use.
- Go for stainless steel or other non-allergenic metals. If you get a pinwheel that contains nickel, be aware that some people may be allergic to it.
- Handle shape matters. Having a handle that is easy to grip allows you to stay in control while using the toy.
- You don’t have to like medical play to enjoy this toy. These pinwheels are often associated with and used for medical kink play, and they’re great for that. But if you’re not into medical roleplay, you can still have fun with this toy.
Bondage Boutique Stainless Steel Wartenberg Pinwheel
This particular product is made of stainless steel with a single-wheel, 22-pin design.
It’s lightweight, making it easy to use with a light touch. The pain level for this toy can range from quite mild to more intense, depending on where you use it and how hard you press it into the skin.
- Nickel-free, non-allergenic metal
- Good for all levels of sensory experience
- Comfortable handle
- Reasonable price
- Wheel can squeak at times
- Doesn’t come with its own storage box
Want to know more about the Bondage Boutique Pinwheel? Get in-depth details about the features below:
The pinwheel design of this toy allows you to easily roll it across the skin, meaning you can create continuous sensations with little effort on the part of the person using it.
The wheel moves in both directions, allowing you to roll it back and forth across the same area, as well.
Solo or Partnered Play
Other sensation toys are primarily for using with a partner. Think of things like whips, floggers, and paddles, for instance. They’re a little difficult to use on yourself.
If you’re looking for these kinds of sensation toys, head over to our flogger, whip, and tickler recommendations by clicking here.
The Wartenberg pinwheel, on the other hand, is small and simple to wield. So even when you’re alone, you can enjoy its sensations. Sensory play to enhance your alone time, anyone?
And of course, the possibilities for play increase when you hand the toy over to a partner or use it on them.
Fits Nearly Anywhere
Larger sensation toys are difficult to pack discreetly. This toy can easily be taken with you in a purse, messenger bag, backpack, or large pocket. That means you can bring it along to places where a larger bag might draw stares.
Here’s a fun idea:
Bring along your Wartenberg pinwheel for secretive public sensory play.
Versatile for All Experience Levels
This toy is easy for beginners to use. There isn’t much of a learning curve here. You simply roll it over the skin.
That doesn’t mean, however, that it’s boring. Its simplicity lends it to creative applications. With a blindfold, your partner doesn’t know where to expect sensation next. And for an individual tied up with rope, sensations can become more intense, as well as inescapable.
For ideas about other toys and gear to pair with a Wartenberg pinwheel, check out our other BDSM articles by clicking here.
Popular for Medical Roleplay
The slender handle and stainless steel design of this toy give it the look of a medical device. If sexy nurse or doctor exam fantasies are your kind of kink, then a pinwheel can make your medical bag look a little more realistic.
You can also use it along with some creative dialogue to imitate medical procedures in a safe way. And it’s a great warmup tool to prepare the skin for sensations before more intense kinky medical play, like needle play.
What Do Other People Think About Bondage Boutique’s Toy?
The pinwheel is a deceiving toy.
It’s tiny, yet looks devious.
And it can certainly be intimidating.
Here’s what customer reviews say about it:
It’s less painful than it looks, as long as you keep the pressure light.
It offers a range of sensations, including tickling.
It’s approachable for beginners to sensation play.
But it can be a little squeaky.
As you can see from the reviews, sensations from this toy vary greatly and can please those who are afraid of pain, as well as those who enjoy more intense sensations.
3 Other Options for Sensory Play We Like
1. Fifty Shades Darker Adrenaline Spikes Metal Wartenberg Pinwheel
Bondage Boutique is not the only pinwheel maker.
For a slightly higher cost, you can get the Fifty Shades Darker Adrenaline Spikes Metal Wartenberg Pinwheel. It’s still affordable and high-quality stainless steel.
The main difference is that this pinwheel is engraved with the label “Fifty Shades Darker” and comes with a drawstring bag for storage. So, if you love the Fifty Shades series and want a matching pinwheel, this is your toy.
- Also nickel-free and non-allergenic
- Lightweight and easy to control
- Reasonably priced
- Great for matching with other Fifty Shades toys
- Storage pouch can be punctured by the pins
2. Doc Johnson Japanese Hot Wax Drip Bondage Candles (3 Pack)
Wax play is another fun way to do sensory play.
If pinwheels aren’t your speed, or you’re just looking for something different, these wax play candles can be used alone or with other toys.
They’re made from wax that is designed to be just the right temperature for safety while still feeling hotter and more intense than a massage candle. If you’re new to wax play, just hold the candle further from the skin as it drips to allow more time for it to cool before hitting.
There are three different colors, so that you can add an aesthetic element to your sensory play.
- Discreet appearance—just like regular candles
- Comes with three different wax colors
- Easy to clean off
- Burns down quicker than other brands because of more intense heat
3. DOMINIX Deluxe Cupping Set (6 Piece)
Cupping is another popular form of sensory play.
It’s a different sensation from prickly pinwheels or hot wax. Instead, the suction pump cups provide a gentler, slow-building sensation that increases blood flow to the cupped area and increases skin sensitivity.
The increased sensitivity this toy provides actually makes it a great pairing for other toys. Pinwheel or hot wax, for instance, can be applied to the extra sensitive skin after the cups are removed. Just be aware that although cupping can feel therapeutic and like a massage, it does affect blood flow and should be used with caution.
This set includes six cups of various sizes and a manual pump. Note that cupping will leave marks on the skin (that’s part of the fun!).
- Easy for beginners to use
- Quick-release valve for easy removal
- Reasonably priced
- Packaging is cheap and not sufficient for long-term storage
There are plenty of sensory toys for experimenting with, and many of them are beginner-friendly.
Although each toy listed here can be tweaked for more or less intense experiences, it’s hard to go wrong with a Wartenberg pinwheel. It’s got the most versatility and ability to travel discreetly.
Just make sure you get a product made from non-allergenic metal that is put together well, like the Bondage Boutique Stainless Steel Pinwheel.